Location : Glasgow
GoBe Consultants Ltd (GoBe) is an innovative and dynamic marine environmental and planning consultancy. Following recent expansion, GoBe is now undertaking further growth of our business to meet current demands from our existing clients through the recruitment of a GIS Consultant within its Glasgow office.
GoBe operate at the forefront of the offshore wind sector and this represents a fantastic opportunity for a newly qualified individual to learn from industry recognised staff and to rapidly raise their profile in the world’s fastest growing energy sector. We specialise in providing high quality strategic marine environmental and planning advice to blue chip companies with a particular focus on marine renewable energy developments and the marine aggregate industry. Our work includes the provision of business support across the full range of project phases (from site bid / feasibility, through consenting, examination, and post consent compliance) and the successful candidate will contribute to the successful delivery of environmental and planning services to our Clients.
GIS Consultant Role:
The role represents an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to work alongside GoBe’s GIS Manager and support the wider GoBe UK team through the provision of GIS services on offshore and coastal marine projects, including major offshore wind farm projects across the UK. The role will involve GIS data processing, analysis and management, along with data interpretation and presentation. The role is to provide support to the GIS Manager and other staff on a range of data handling aspects such as data gathering, constraints mapping, figure production or site selection / route optioneering.
This is a predominantly GIS role, however there may be a need at times for the successful individual to support with other company requirements during any quiet work periods. This would depend on the skills the individual brings to GoBe but could include assistance with general environmental assessment / reporting work undertaken by the company. The successful applicant will be delegated tasks and responsibilities appropriate to their experience and ability and will be expected to work both independently and support larger multi-disciplinary teams. The successful applicant will of course be mentored, trained and supported by the GIS Manager, the Directors and a team of expert technical advisors in order to develop professionally.
- Provision of GIS support on our UK project portfolio; and
- Provision of data gathering and data management support
- Assist with the production of high-quality figures/maps for reports and Environmental Impact Assessments;
- Assist with the sourcing, manipulation and management of spatial data;
- Advise project staff on GIS related issues as required;
- Requirement to meet clients GIS data management procedures and metadata guidelines;
- Assist with the presentation of GIS project material for project meetings or workshops.
Key skills and capabilities
- Appropriately trained and educated to degree level in a relevant technical discipline (GIS), with an understanding of data processing, analysis and management;
- Experience in working with ArcGIS software, its concepts and techniques;
- Experience of figure production with a good understanding of cartographic design and attention to detail;
- An interest in the marine environment or renewables along with a desire to work on major infrastructure projects;
- Good organisational and time management skills with the ability to work to given deadlines;
- A professional manner with strong inter-personal skills and an ability to communicate at all levels; and
- Self-motivated with an ability to work on own initiative and as part of a growing team.
- Proficiency in ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10;
- Understanding of co-ordinate systems, datums and projections;
- Demonstrable experience of managing and manipulating GIS data;
- Knowledge of metadata standards and their application; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft excel, word and pdf software.
This Consultant role with GoBe will provide you with the opportunity to work in and help shape a rapidly developing and dynamic company involved in some of the largest and most challenging marine development projects in the UK.
Based in central Glasgow, we offer industry competitive salaries commensurate with experience, with associated benefits. We value the wellbeing of our staff and this is reflected in our flexible working conditions and desirable office location.
To apply, please e-mail your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for submissions: 29th January 2021.