GoBe GIS Consultant Post
Location: Glasgow / Edinburgh
GoBe Consultants Ltd (GoBe) is an environment and planning consultancy with a particular focus on services to the offshore renewable (wind, wave and tidal energy), aggregate, nuclear, oil & gas, ports & harbours and public sector markets. GoBe has a reputation for the provision of high quality reports and advice. Due to an increasing workload from our clients in the offshore sector, and particularly the offshore wind market, the Company is now seeking to recruit a GIS Consultant within its Glasgow office to support business requirements.
GIS Consultant Role:
The role represents an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to support the provision of services on offshore and coastal marine projects, including major offshore wind farm projects across the UK. The successful candidate will work as part of the GoBe UK team contributing to the successful delivery of EIA and planning services to our Clients and will be expected to work both independently and as part of larger multi-disciplinary teams. The role will involve GIS data processing, analysis, and management, along with data interpretation and presentation. The role will also involve supporting other staff and the provision of advice and guidance to our clients on a range of issues such as constraints mapping or site selection / route optioneering workshops. You will of course be supported by experienced project managers, the Directors and a team of expert technical advisors and our existing GIS team.
• Provision of GIS support on our UK project portfolio; and
• Provision of data management support and data development.
• Assist with the GIS data manipulation and presentation of graphics for inclusion within reports and other documents;
• Utilisation of existing GIS tools and data management procedures and identifying opportunities for bespoke approaches where appropriate;
• Advise project staff on all GIS related issues as required;
• Management of project GIS databases; and
• Presentation of GIS project material at project meetings, workshops or stakeholder engagement events as required.
• Appropriately trained and educated to degree level in a relevant technical discipline (GIS), with understanding of data processing, analysis and management;
• Experience in working with ArcGIS software and its concepts and techniques;
• Experience of addressing common problems faced when mapping the coastal and offshore zones (e.g. coordinate systems, projections, vertical datums);
• Demonstrable experience of managing and manipulating GIS data;
• Knowledge of metadata standards and their application;
• Good written and oral communication, organisational and time management skills;
• Self-motivated with an ability to work on own initiative and as part of a growing team; and
• Proficiency in other standard software such as Microsoft excel, word and pdf.
• Delivery of GIS support and data management within projects to high standards on time and to budget:
• Knowledge of main sources of marine environmental data (e.g. Marine Scotland National Marine Plan interactive (NMPi), Scottish Natural Heritage SiteLink, Fish Sensitivity Maps, Historic Environment Scotland wreck data);
• Assist in the effective development of data management strategies; and
• Keep up to date with business developments related to GIS and data structures.
• Previous experience in environmental consultancy, preferably working within marine environments and / or offshore renewables projects;
• Attendance at a recognised, specific marine / coastal GIS training course;
• Demonstrable presentational skills and experience of other mapping software such as CAD; and
• Understanding of UK planning policy and EIA requirements.
This GIS role at GoBe will provide you with the opportunity to work in and help shape a rapidly developing and dynamic company involved in some of the largest and most challenging marine development projects in the UK. We recognise the value of equal employment opportunities and are committed to promoting fairness, equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We offer a competitive salary plus a range of benefits including a contributory pension, discretionary company bonus, 25 days holiday and a flexible working policy. The successful candidate will be based at our office in Glasgow. We offer industry competitive salaries commensurate with experience, with associated benefits. We value the wellbeing of our staff and this is reflected in our flexible working conditions.
To apply, please e-mail your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
Closing date for submissions: 24th August 2018